Please note that effective July 1, 2020, an updated BGC Code of Ethics will replace the current IPEP Code of Ethics. The Code of Ethics shown below will expire on June 30, 2020.
IPEP members shall act at all times with fairness, courtesy and good faith to their associates, employers, employees and clients, and with fidelity to public needs. They shall uphold the values of truth, honesty and trustworthiness. In keeping with these basic tenets, IPEP members shall:
- Hold paramount protection of human health and the natural environment;
- Comply with applicable statutes, regulations, and standards;
- Undertake and accept responsibility for professional assignments only when qualified by training and/or experience;
- Provide a professional opinion on a subject only when it is founded upon adequate knowledge derived from good science, thoughtful deliberation, and honest conviction;
- Act as a faithful agent of clients and/or employers, maintain confidentiality and avoid conflict of interest but, where such conflict or potential for conflict arises, fully and expediently disclose the circumstances to the employer, client, and/or community;
- Avoid practicing the profession while under the influence of a thought-impairing substance;
- Maintain professional competence through continuing professional development activities, endeavor to advance the body of knowledge in one’s practice area, and provide opportunities for the professional development of associates;
- Act with fairness; courtesy and good faith towards clients, colleagues and others; give credit where it is due; and accept/give constructive, honest, and fair professional comment;
- Communicate clearly, to the employer, client, and/or community, the potential consequences if professional decisions or judgments are overruled or disregarded; and
- Exercise honesty, objectivity and diligence in the performance of professional duties and responsibilities.